My Revolt experience

Do you understand Italian? No? Well... No Problem!!! Here we speak in English!
Use this section to help yourself in the RV world!

Moderatore: Michelangelo

Rispondi
TheFactor82
Amministratore
Contatta:

My Revolt experience

Messaggio da TheFactor82 » mer 13 lug 2016, 12:14

Occasionally I like to write something about my personal Revolt experience. Sometimes I post them, sometimes I keep them private.
These are three posts that I like to share also with foreign visitors, here on Arm (thanks to Ciccio for translation).

Working on Re-Volt have become pretty hard. And it's even worse nowadays, busy as I am with my job and the obstacles of the over complicated 21st century life.

I often find myself going through megabytes and megabytes of compressed files, and I don't know the content of some of them anymore. It is in these moments that I end up asking myself "Why on the earth am I doing this???"

I'm talking about Re-Volt, a 8-years-old PC game a little more than 100 megabytes, when we barely talked about gigahertz and no-one knew what a dual core was. Why is this forgotten by god "storm-wreck" still on my PC? How doesn't it vanish inside Colin McRae's gigabytes, or in front of Toca Race Drive's simulations?

Well... I'll try to explain it now. There is a little thing, a little unknown detail in Re-Volt. I discovered it 8 years ago and that's the reason that made me love this game.

If you start a race in Toys in the Hood 2, at the end of the first downhill, there is a pipe connected to a water sprinkler on the grass. The pipe is neatly placed down in a bun, like a snake biting his own tail. If you stomp on the pipe with your RC, it will be as in reality: the water flow will decrease. And if you suddenly move you RC out of the pipe, you will find out that the first spray will be stronger than the others. Exactly like in reality.

I know, it doesn't have anything to do with Re-Volt. But it is inside Re-Volt, and the fact that a programmer decided to put such a detail in this game makes me to want to create a monument to that programmer.

Or maybe, I already did. A folder, that never disappeared in 8 years of formatting and repartitioning hard drives of my PC.

A folder called Re-Volt.

------------------------------

This morning, while I was wandering around Facebook I opened a link published by a well-know WeGo person that brought me to a Re-Volt 2 Multiplayer review, made by an old beta tester of OUR Re-Volt.

I've read this article, and it made me think. For this reason I want to write a few lines, in the hope to not bore anyone.

The article is very straight, quick, and it seems quite honest. Fifteen short sections with some images in between written in an easy to understand english. And the rating is definitively positive.

But, mainly because the article is short and there are few sections (considering the fact that of 15, the first 5 talk about OUR Re-Volt, not WeGo's, and the other are "squandered" saying that their game has almost 270k downloads - not much in my opinion, since mobile devices are WORLDWIDE spread), I was pretty impressed by two of those. They are reported here for everyone's ease:

The only complaint I have to make is ads placements. In reality, "ads placement" is just an euphemism. Halfway through a race is pretty shocking the fact that the game freezes and I'm forced to watch a video advertisement. This mechanism can go for some games, but when you are racing, firing missiles to conquer the first place and the game roughly stops... It's really a bad thing. I'm happy to see someone (WeGo) to keep this title up and I don't want to make too many complaints, but this is just garbage.

There are a lot of ways to put ads without destroying the gameplay. It is like a non-written rule, right? If it isn't, it should be. I'm pretty sure that the advertisers do prefer their audience to not be in angry-mode right before seeing their product for the first time. I'm sure that this thing will make you dead angry as it makes me. Is this even tolerable? Not at all, it sucks. Is it worth faceing it to play Re-Volt on your mobile device? Hell yeah.

Two sides of the same coin. On a side it sucks to see how someone can litterally destroy the gameplay (I respect whoever likes this, beyond everything you can think about WeGo and Re-Volt 2).

Imagine to be halfway through a race, a mid-race ad is something that makes me shudder.
Reading this, never and ever I'd download such a videogame. And even if I've already downloaded it, the istant it happens the game would get uninstalled.

As I said, two sides of the same coin. On the other side, that Re-Volt spirit still present (at least for what it is said in the review) in this game, brought to Re-Volt 2 by WeGo somehow. That spirit brings a Re-Volt player to play the game no matter what.

I think about the annoyance of an ad break and I compare that to connection losses and lags, to the huge amount of bugs and glitches, to the compatibility problems with the Operative Systems that in the time (we are almost there, almost to 16) a Re-Volt player had to face. And after all that, we, Re-Volt players, went over those things and we are still here playing this game.

As the spark of life present in Donald Duck's 313, or maybe as the spirit of the Going Merry that drives Mugiwara-no Rufy (very high quotes, huh?), so the simple name "Re-Volt" seems to bring with it a kind of an aura, that makes its players to play and enjoy the game. No matter what.

-----------------------------

It's sunday afternoon (again...), and I'm here with 3 people, that came from over 90 miles away.

I know one of these people since forever, I could say. 10 years honestly... They are a lot indeed, in my opinion. And in 10 years we phisically met... Say 10 times? Maybe, or maybe even less. But that's it. He is a volcano. Ideas, inventiveness, even his personality. And he has my ethernal esteem.

I know the second person since a little less time, but maybe I've seen him more, and maybe I know him better thanks to long chats with him... He has a s***** personality but he helps me a lot (when I manage to tease his creativity).

The third one is a person that I know since relatively shorter time. But he is one of those that I'm happy to know in my life, even just because of the crazy stuff he does (mainly) for me. Such as traveling thousands of miles in a train and as many in an airplane just to come to my house. Just to play Revolt. Just to say one.

These 3 persons are my friends. And it's a beautiful thing.
We talked about various stuff in that sunday afternoon. We laughed and joked. I've been submerged in presents and gifts for my little newborn baby. We talked about our site and our forum. Meanwhile I became a "tester" for future releases, we stopped and watched this photo.

Immagine

It could be anything, not our Re-Volt.
But it is, indeed. It's Re-Volt, brought to a level that only with these people's skill, these Friends's skills, it could ever been broguht.
I don't know what they were thinking about staring at this image, that night. But I can tell you what I was thinking about:
In his unrecognizability, I DID recognized Re-Volt. It was that little PC game, that in the years it gave me 3 new friends. And many more.
My Gp's:
10 Settembre 2000: Monza - ITA (F1)
24-25 Aprile 2004: Imola - RSM (F1)
07 Ottobre 2007: Monza - ITA (WTCC)
31 Agosto 2008: Misano - ITA (MOTOGP/250/125)
05-07 Settembre 2008: Spa Francorchamps - BEL (F1)
20-22 Luglio 2012: Hockenheimring - GER (F1)
07 Settembre 2014: Monza - ITA (F1)
14 Aprile 2018: Roma - ITA (FE)

My ARM Card

Rispondi